Vera Barthel's Pie Crust
Vera was well known for her beautiful pies especially her lemon meringue pie with mile high meringue. She lived close to our church and I can still see her walking across the street carrying her pies to the fish fries and picnics. Thank you, Vera!
Author: Sock Box 10
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 1 10-inch or 2 9-inch pie shells
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup Crisco
- 1 egg beaten; measure in ½ cup and add water to make ½ cup liquid
- Mix flour, salt, sugar and shortening to crumb.
- Add egg/water liquid and mix.
- Let rest in the refrigerator. I hour should be enough
- Roll to fit pie.
- This recipe makes 1 large 10-inch pie or 2 9-inch pies.
- Good for Fruit and pumpkin pies.
- For baked shell, prick bottom and sides with a fork and bake in a preheated 450-degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until light brown. Cool before filling